Tuesday, August 10, 2004

This is a Running Post..avert your eyes if you're sick of the running posts

So I am 4km off my goal of 21.1km.
My half marathon is fast approaching.
Sept 19th. Run for the Grapes.

I haven't committed to doing it yet. Thankfully I have lots of time to hmm and hahhh about it.

Here's the thing.

I don't enjoy races.
Well actually more specifically I don't enjoy finishing races.

I call it "finish line anxiety".
Every race, and there haven't been THAT many, I am totally nauseous and at one I was actually gagging by the time I cross the finish line.

It took me a long time to figure out why! It's not like I am pushing myself THAT hard. I am not pushing to the point of vomit.

I think it has to do with the crowd at the end. All that hub bub. The finish line is such a huge deal.
I ran with marathoners (Again) last night and they were telling about why they love to run Chicago soo much (sorry Jon I know it's a sore spot) and most of it was because of the crowds and how there can be 20 thousand people at the finish line.
This sounds like TORTURE to me.

I hate eating in restaurants where I am in the middle of the room. I would much rather be in a booth off the side. I faked being ill for my first (and last) gymnastics competition. I hated batting in baseball. I did all the work leading up to it, but then dropped my law class in highschool when it was my turn to present my debate. I sweat at weddings when they have a receiving line. I quite Guides cause my mom called my leader and told her I got my first period and didn't feel comfortable going that night (I still hate her for that).

So what am I going to do? I furthest race I've run in 10k and was literally gagging at the end. (30 thousand people RUNNING that race). How will I feel about 21k!? How will I survive that? I will be mortified if I vomit! I can't take it.
HELP!